How to achieve BREEAM 2014 Man 02 compliance
BREEAM 2014 Man 02 allows you to earn 4 BREEAM credits for carry out life cycle costing appraisals. We specialise in carrying out life cycle cost appraisals. These life cycle appraisals are complaint with the BREEAM 2014 Man 02 methodology. If you would like help to achieve these credits, follow the following guide. Alternatively contact us and we can achieve the BREEAM 2014 Man 02 with you.
To achieve two credits under the Man 02 Life cycle cost and service life planning carry out a whole building elemental life cycle cost (LCC) analysis based on information produced at Process Stage 2 (equivalent to Concept Design – RIBA Stage 2).
The appraisal should provide a prediction of cash flow for the whole building and include the following cost items:
- Construction Costs: initial capital expenditure, other construction related costs and client definable costs
- Maintenance Costs: major replacement and repairs, cleaning, minor replacements, repairs and maintenance, allowances for unscheduled repairs, replacements and maintenance, and grounds maintenance
- Operations Costs: windows and external services, internal cleaning, specialist cleaning, external works cleaning, fuel, water and drainage, staff engaged in servicing the building, rates and other local charges, and client definable costs
Undertake option appraisal studies and evaluate various design and construction alternatives being proposed at this stage. These design option appraisals should be carried out in line with ‘Standardised method of life cycle costing for construction procurement’ PD 156865:2008 1. Report on the relative merits of alternative designs and specifications, and identify which design development proposals will provide benefits to the client both in terms of LCC and improved building performance.
The LCC analysis should be carried out over a multiple cash flow scenarios and presented in real, and discounted costs terms.
To achieve the third credit under the Man 02 Life cycle cost and service life planning carry out component level LCC analysis by the end of Process Stage 4 (equivalent to Technical Design – RIBA Stage 4). Again, the analysis must be in line with PD 156865:2008 and include the following component types (where present):
- Envelope, e.g. cladding, windows, and/or roofing
- Services, e.g. heat source, cooling source, and/or controls
- Finishes, e.g. walls, floors and/or ceilings
- External spaces, e.g. alternative hard landscaping, boundary protection.
During design development work with the design team and identify specification choices of systems, elements and component levels and appraise them on a life cycle cost and performance perspective and identify those alternatives that are thought to optimise the LCC plan.
To achieve the fourth credit under the Man 02 Life cycle cost and service life planning the capital cost for the building in pounds per square metre (£k/ m2) must be uploaded to the BREEAM Assessment Scoring and Reporting tool.
The fee for ADW Developments Limited to act as the life cycle cost consultant in this capacity is typically between £7,000 and £9,000 (excluding VAT and disbursements).